Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 96: Silence--A Fable

This is a really interesting story by Edgar Allan Poe...I thought I had at least heard of all of his stories, but I hadn't heard of or read this one...so I decided to read it. If you ever want a weird story to read, this is the one for you. Honestly, I couldn't really wrap my head around it. I don't mean to necessarily put a religious thought into this, but it is really the only way I can possibly find the meaning behind the story, if there is any.

The Demon= The Devil
The narrator= Man....at least I thought so at first. Then he began to control the elements and I thought he might be God.
The man on the rock= Christ....possibly. Until I read on and when the narrator hiding in the lilies makes everything fall silent, then the man on the rock is stricken with terror and runs away...Therefore, he might be Man.

Do you see why I'm having trouble with this? It's really sort of confusing, but the only thing that does for sure make sense is that the Demon is the devil, or the servant of him. Isn't that interesting? Do you think Poe intended it to be that way (I'm not completely sure he "intended" anything, considering that half the time he was drunk or on opium.)? Anyway, like I said, if you want a strange story, this should be one to tickle your fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment