Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 97: The Turtle by Ogden Nash

I've had a few qualms about putting this poem up, and so I've held off for a while, but I think it's really funny. I feared that some of you might have gotten offended--Fear not, it's not really offensive, but I didn't...Anyway, enough. Here is the poem:

The turtle lives 'twixt plated decks
Which practically conceal its sex.
I think it clever of the turtle
In such a fix to be so fertile.

I'm not really sure why I think this poem is so funny; maybe because of the rhythm? Or the rhyming? I don't know--but for some reason I definitely feel like Ogden Nash knew what he was doing. He wanted something very mundane to be funny...That's what he is famous for. As an author, I think that he wants us to reflect on the mundane routines of life and maybe stop and smell the roses, or observe closely that which surrounds us every day. Anyway, I hope you all have a great day and Happy Birthday, Kristi!

No comments:

Post a Comment