Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 31: Hieronymus Bosch: Between Heaven and Hell

I found this in my Aunt's bookshelf, and it intrigued me. It brought me back to my freshman year in college and AP Euro in high school when I looked at the triptych paintings of Bosch. This book explains the history and influences behind the art, and although they are still somewhat strange to me, I feel enlightened. Now I understand most of the strange figures and the hidden symbolism behind each set of Bosch's most famous works, and also the type of social influences he was living under in his day. I also discovered his entire family were painters, though he was the one who showed the most talent. He was famous in his lifetime, but lived in an obscure village in the Netherlands, which is why he was rediscovered only in the nineteenth century. If you enjoy medieval art and history, then this is a book that would be useful for you, especially in a presentation or essay of some kind. The book is by Chris Will by, the title here mentioned. I hope it will come to use to someone someday, because it was so interesting and different in the ways of presenting history. You should also see the paintings, or copies of them--they are certainly some intriguing works. They mainly concentrated on the triptychs "The Garden of Earthly Delights", "The Temptation of Saint Anthony" and "The Last Judgement" by Bosch.

No comments:

Post a Comment