Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 55: "The Gypsy" and "Forgiveness" from Jane Eyre : The Musical

I saw Jane Eyre: The Musical, last night...and it was amazing. Our Rochester and Jane were of course amazing, and I think that our Jane Eyre was better than the girl on the CD. I enjoyed it so much, and Julie, the friend that has been staying with me this week, and I found a flyer in the HFAC. On a spontaneous journey, we went with our friend Muriel all the way to Salt Lake to the Rose Wagner Theatre and saw it...Let me tell you, it was definitely worth fourteen dollars. I'm so glad we did it--It was one of the best spontaneous decisions i have ever made. Anyway, here are my two favorite songs from the musical. The first one is when an old gypsy woman (who is actually Rochester) "enters" Thornfield and reads the fortunes of all the young ladies in the house, including Jane's. It is so great when he reveals himself, and the falsetto is so hard to do...I just can't get over it!

ROCHESTER
I see a flame in the palm of your hand
Oh sister
You're peevish and puny and spoiled and bland
Oh sister
You have no principles
You have no taste
Your education was truly a waste
Don't be upset, girls, this has to be faced
Sweet sisters
I see a man in your future, my dear
Auspicious
But his claims of wealth and title I fear
Fictitious
You marry the scoundrel, and soon after that
You bear him a child and then you get fat
Lucky for you he leaves both of you flat
Dear lady
I see a journey you're planning to take
Oh sister
Believe me, my child, it's a fatal mistake
Oh sister
The road holds great danger
You'd better stay here
There's someone you long to be close to, my dear
He's not so far out of reach as you fear
Dear sister

JANE
And who might he be, mother?

ROCHESTER
I'm getting tired of this masquerade
Oh sister
Do you forgive me for this odd charade
Dear sister...

The next one is "Forgiveness" when Helen Burns is teaching Jane to forgive her terrible aunt and all those who have mistreated her. I find so much hope in this song, and it is also musically beautiful.

HELEN
You mustn't be revengeful
You have to be strong
To offer good for evil
Return right for wrong
We must not hold a grudge
And we must learn to endure
Then as God is your judge
At least your heart will be pure
Forgiveness
Is the mightiest sword
Forgiveness of those you hate
Will be your highest reward
When they bruise you with words
When they make you feel small
When it's hardest to bear
You must do nothing at all
Forgiveness
Is the simplest vow
Forgiveness
Of all their crimes
Is your deliverance now
Bless those souls
Who would curse your name
When the last bell tolls
You'll be free of blame
You can continue to grieve
But know the Gospel is true
You must forgive those who lie
And bless them that curse you
Forgiveness
Is the mightiest sword
Forgiveness of those you hate
Will be your highest reward
The time will come when we will leave this world,
and then the injustice and the pain and the sin will fall away from us,
and only the spark of the spirit will remain - returning to God who created it
You must never lose faith
You must never lose heart
God will restore your trust
And I know you're afraid
I'm as scared as you are
But willing to be brave
Brave enough for love

No comments:

Post a Comment