Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 42: Highland Cathedral

Highland Cathedral is a Scottish bagpipe song that is played often for special occasions, even in church. Today is the Scottish Festival at Thanksgiving Point, which I will be missing because I need to work. The Scottish Festival is where you eat Scottish food, there are Scottish games (the caber toss-throwing a giant telephone pole, for example), tartan booths, which tell you about your Scottish ancestry, and vendors all over the place, which make it a lot of fun. Anyway, I hope you can now see the connection. I first knew this song as a bagpipe song only (My dad and sister Liz play in a bagpipe band--The Salt Lake Scots), until last year at the Kirkin' o' the Tartan (a special Presbyterian service for the blessing of the Scottish clans) when the choir started singing. It was really cool! If you haven't guessed already, I really enjoy my own Scottish heritage, and even if your not Scottish, they'll be your friends anyway! So here is the lyrics to "Highland Cathedral" (Look it up on Youtube or something like that if you're curious to know what it sounds like...)

There is a land far from this distant shore
Where heather grows and Highland eagles soar
There is a land that will live ever more
Deep in my heart, my Bonnie Scotland


Though I serve so far away
I still see your streams, cities and dreams
I can't wait until the day
When I'll come home once more


And so Lord keep me from the harm of war
Through all its dangers and the battle's roar
Keep me safe until I'm home once more
Home to my own in Bonnie Scotland




VERSE 1.

Land of our fathers, we will always be

Faithful and loyal to our own country.

In times of danger, we will set you free.

Lead you to glory and to victory.



VERSE 2.

Hail, Caledonia, to our ancient prayer.

In this Highland Cathedral, let our standards, bear.

Joining, together, with one dream to share.

God bless the people of this land so fair.



CHORUS

Gone is the past, let us start anew.

Let this hope of peace, always remain.

Spirit of Scotia, be strong and true.

Then your children will smile again, again, again, again.



VERSE 3.

Rise, Caledonia, let your voices ring

In this Highland Cathedral of our God and King.

Whom, joy and liberty, to all, will bring.

Come; let your heart, with love and courage, sing.



CHORUS

Lonely the exile, o'er distant seas,

The home of their birth, gone from their eyes.

Bring back their souls o'er the ocean breeze

To the land where their fathers lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment