Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 43: The Gospel of John

When studied deeply, this becomes all the more important, not only because it gives us the example of how we should live, but also what we should do to make the world a better place and to bless the lives of the people all around us. This gospel is the life of Jesus Christ from the perspective of one of his apostles, so rather than give us a "background history", if you will, he gives us an intimate look into the life of the Master, our master exemplar. It spans from the time that Jesus calls John the Beloved (who also, incidentally, was his cousin), to Christ's resurrection on Easter morning. I took a class in the four gospels, and I got a lot out of all of the books...They all, however, tell the same story--who Christ is, His teachings, and how we can become more like him. I have only recently finished reading this gospel again, and I found that I was drawn to the last week of the Savior's life...The triumphal entry, the passover meal, Gethsemane, the betrayal, the trial/cross, and his resurrection, most particularly the passover through Gethsemane and the resurrection. I'm not sure why, except that it gave me hope...There's a lot going on of late, some things I have yet to figure out about my life, but I know that because of that suffering in Gethsemane and the resurrection, everything will be all right somehow, even if I don't understand it all. God does listen, and He will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment