Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 71: How Firm a Foundation

So we sang this song in church today, and it has always been one of my favorites. It's hymn number eighty-five in the LDS hymnbook, but I know it's definitely older than that. It's known certainly in the American Christian world, because I've heard it sung in places other than just our church meetings. I looked up the history and found out some really interesting facts:
-The composer is unknown, though the song has been attributed to John Rippon.
-It is written in the tradition of Southern folk hymns, but by the time of the Civil War, it was a favorite of the North and the South.
- Two U.S. presidents wanted the song sung at their funerals.
I also love this song because of the seventh verse, which of course we never sing...we usually sing only the first three.

The soul that on Jesus has leaned for repose
I will not, I can not, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, I'll never no never,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!

No comments:

Post a Comment