Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 84: Frostina

This comes from last night, after the Disney concert (Which was AWESOME! They even sang "Be Our Guest"...:) ). I was listening to the music Frostina and realizing that it was all Robert Frost poems set to music. Apparently Randall Thompson, who arranged the music to the poems is the only person allowed to do that. Isn't that cool? I took a class on Robert Frost during my junior year of college, and it was amazing. He had such a full and prolific writing career and life that it's a wonder he never just stopped and smelled the roses. But I guess that's what he was doing when he was inspired by most of his poems. Robert Frost is famous for his poems about nature and the ordinary occurrences of life. His thoughts on them are simple, and yet poignant, bringing us back to a slower, older time. One of my favorites is "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening". Some others are "Mending Wall" and " After Apple Picking"....There are so many to choose from! If you don't know too much about Robert Frost, pick up a poetry book of his and then you will see why he was one of the great transition poets--from the older to the more modern way of expressing poetry. My favorite of favorites though is "Acquainted with the Night", a poem by him during his traveling time in London.

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain --and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height
One luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.













0

0



No comments:

Post a Comment