Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 15: Handel's Messiah: Full Score

I chose a different method of reading today....I found the full text of Handel's Messiah on Google and read it with the music going on in the background (and yes-I have full score on my Ipod. I told you I was a geek...). It was really interesting to do it this way, and I definitely think Handel was inspired. In case you are not aware, the Messiah score comes from the Book of Isaiah, a messianic prophecy given to the people of Jerusalem. Legend tells us that Handel wrote the entire score in two weeks including oratorios, choral and the musical parts. If that actually is true, how great and wonderful is inspiration! Thousands, maybe millions, know the Messiah-we hear it every Christmas and Easter....If anything is to be said for the inspiration and edification of great art, I hope this would be in the Top 10. It is certainly high on my list, and no matter what faith you are a part of, the universal element of music is included in this great work. If you have not had the chance to look closely at this score, I would most definitely do it. I had heard Handel's Messiah for many years, but had never paid close attention to the lyrics, and Isaiah is one of the biggest books in the Bible, so I was wary of it.....:) But today, I have been enlightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment