Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 9: The Bell Witch

I love all types of folklore, and so when I picked up this book from the library this afternoon, I was really excited. It is a poltergiest set around the town of Red River in Tennessee called "The Bell Witch" because it tormented a family named the Bells. The most interesting thing about this book is that it is actually a memoir, given to the author and prepared for publication. The facts are real, set down from letters and especially the account of Richard Powell, a man who actually lived and sent this account to his daughter to set before the world. The narrative and conclusion are so well built and shocking that I was riveted to the end trying to figure this one out...Definitely a Halloween type story, if you're into that sort of thing. As soon as I started reading this book, I immediately remembered a folklore class I took in college, but I feel this deserves more than just a nod because it is a memoir. I am sure that the story of the "Bell Witch" up until the time this book came out was swiftly transferred from truth to legend, as most folklore does, but then this remarkable story, and the truth behind it, came to light. How interesting the human condition, and what we do for protection of ourselves. our families, and our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment