Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 2: A Study in Scarlet/The Country of Saints

I will admit that I had read the first half of this book, A Study in Scarlet, before; but I had never read the second half. Although they are written separately, and they come in two parts, I discovered, when I read this book completely this time, that they ARE actually connected. I decided to go backward on this one, considering that I had not read The Country of the Saints before. That's how I discovered these two were connected-Even if you had read them in the proper order, not very many would realize it 'til the end. Besides, I didn't mind reading A Study in Scarlet again-I think it's hilarious! It's the first story that has Sherlock Holmes in it, and the one, of course, where Watson and Sherlock meet. They don't know anything about each other, and Watson's first impressions are half the fun.

By the way, Mormonism does not equal evil despotism. Poligamy is no longer a part of the Mormon religion. In fact, it was ended from revelation given by Wilford Woodruff in 1890. The prophet today is not a despot or a tyrant, nor have they ever been, but a religious leader who is a conduit to the will of the Lord. The reason why I say this is because if you read The Country of Saints, you will get a misconstrued perception of Mormons, probably that they are wicked and tyrannical....but it is not so. If you are curious to find out more, let me know and I will do my best to help you understand.

Another thing....this morning, before I started reading, I went job hunting. In my wanderings, I dropped off only two applications, but discovered something else....a life-size cardboard cutout of Jesus, and an intimate observation of downtown Provo. The amount of things you miss when you aren't going slowly is quite a lot....indeed, a place that I have lived in for five years held quite a few surprises for me today. Perhaps this summer is for those intimate observations, rather than for anything of a material nature....we shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you're on a roll! I love re-reading books. I've never heard of the two that you read for today--I'll have to look them up!

    ReplyDelete