Monday, September 2, 2013

A is for Acceptance

Rather than this being a post about one of my favorite things, instead it will at least be about something that has been on my mind. When I was younger, I wanted to be just like everybody else, but even more than that I wanted to be accepted. What would I have to do to be accepted by my peers, my friends, family members and even strangers?

Would I have to like sports, even though I was a child no P.E. teacher wanted in their class...ever? Would I need to wear makeup, be skinny and play dumb to be favored and have friends? Would I have to be so talented no one could see the red rims around my eyes from lack of sleep and, even when I was ill from the stresses of life, bottle it all up inside so no one would see the hurt?

The answer to these questions is no. Why? Because the people who matter accept you for who you are, and those that don't will fade from your life like a passing fog. Find those in your life who will lift your spirits, laugh and cry with you when the ache is too much to bear, and who don't care so much about the things that you are not, but support you in the things that you are.

These people may be few and far between, but all the better for you, for then you will know who will stand by you no matter what. Listen to their counsel, even if it might replace something you want for something you need. These friends will rarely lead you astray. Keep them close about you, and if you find yourself alone, seek them--they will come.


No comments:

Post a Comment