Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I is for Intrepid

For this post, I am not talking about cars. In fact, I don't even like to drive that much. I was called this word by someone the other day, and I want  to take this word for its original meaning:

in·trep·id

[in-trep-id]
adjective resolutely fearless; dauntless.

Let us be this way. Whatever that might mean to you, whether it means getting over fears, or finally doing something that you have been dreading, or taking that blind step into the dark abyss of uncertainty, be resolutely fearless. There is no shame in failure unless it is connected with cowardice. Let us go forward armed with a determination to do good in the world, to face those fears, and to be able to say of ourselves, "I have fought a good fight."

Doubtless all of us will experience trials, but how we deal with them is literally at least half the battle. I am not saying to hide your feelings. In fact, I am telling you that if you need help, have the courage to say so to yourself and get it. If there is something that you have been putting off, especially if it includes another person, do it before it's too late and you find yourself wondering "What if". 

I am also not saying that we should all suddenly become daredevils. If the world were full of those, we'd probably all cause some sort of damage wherever we went. I am saying that even if it frightens you, make a stranger into a friend. Even if it frightens you, speak your mind to fight for the right. Even if it frightens you, leave an old life behind and begin anew.

My dear friends, let us be the intrepid ones. We may not be grand, famous or wealthy in the eyes of the world, but we will be great. We will be great for truly living.

No comments:

Post a Comment